Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Thoughts on Shabbat- by Maya

I find it amazing how much we need in order to be stimulated. Last night, I went over to watch a tv show with a friend, who, during that hour, not only watched the show with me but worked on a crossword puzzle. She even commented on how she needed multiple activities to keep her busy. I shook my head at her, but, later that night, as I watched one of my favorite shows, I found myself also reading an article online. We are so used to things moving so fast, and to having multiple media coming at us at the same time, that it feels like it is becoming second nature to do more than one thing at once. Having one singular focus for me, sometimes, can become unnerving. Even when I eat a meal, I need to be on my computer, or watching tv, or reading something. Just now, I took a break from writing this to check my Facebook and my phone. There is a constant need for me to keep myself busy, to constantly be involved in multiple activities at once, and I know a lot of my peers feel the same way.


I think this is why Shabbat is important. Although a respite from Facebook and text messages not be exactly what our ancestors pictured when they proposed a day of rest, I think a pause from everyday life is still very much needed in contemporary times.


This past Friday night, one of my good friends hosted a Shabbat dinner through Birthright. I was excited to celebrate Shabbat with a group of my peers and meet new people. I even had the opportunity to compose and lead a brief service, which included the Shabbat blessings and a few readings. Additionally, each time I lead Shabbat informally, I like to go around the room and have everyone say something good that happened to him or her that week. I think that we often get caught up in everything bad that happens to us, or entrenched in the monotony of routine, and Shabbat is a good opportunity to take a step back and remember that even though bad things do happen to us, we are still very lucky, and there is always something good in our lives.


The Shabbat dinner was a lovely evening. It almost felt like we were in a little bubble away from the rest of the world; I didn't check my phone for hours! It was nice to just eat food, talk with people I didn't know, and enjoy Shabbat. I definitely plan on hosting a dinner of my own sometime in the near future. Shabbat reminds me that it is possible to take a break from the craziness of the world, from all the technology and media by which I am constantly surrounded. It is possible to put away my phone and my computer and just concentrate on one thing: being present.

No comments:

Post a Comment